*NEARING CAPACITY* Alumni College in Newport, Rhode Island – Jazz, History, and Strolling by the Sea: Medicine for the Soul
This trip is nearing capacity. Please call for details.
Friday, August 3 - Monday, August 6, 2018
Spend the dog days of summer with your Johns Hopkins compatriots strolling the cliffs of Newport, RI and delighting in the soothing sounds of some of our greatest jazz musicians at the Newport Jazz Festival - “the grandfather of all jazz festivals.” Kick off the weekend at a private reception for Johns Hopkins Alumni followed by the opening concert at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Over the three days, learn about the extravagant Gilded Age mansions and Newport’s rich colonial history; marvel at stunning scenery as you walk along unspoiled coastline on scenic trails; and enjoy fine New England dining – all while enjoying afternoons at the Jazz Festival in Fort Adams. If the idea of outdoor music, window shopping as your stroll through a quaint New England town, and enjoying a twilight cocktail cruise makes you smile – this trip is for you!
Throughout the weekend, you will be joined by the Johns Hopkins Peabody Institute’s Senior Associate Dean of Institute Studies, Abra Bush. Abra will serve as your enrichment lecturer and host conversations focused on the origins of American Jazz, the Newport Jazz Festival, and the newly launched Johns Hopkins Center for Music and Medicine – a collaboration between the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the Peabody Institute, which aims, among other things, to revolutionize the way that music is taught, musicians are treated, and music is used as an intervention.
About the Festival:
Founded in 1954, the Newport Jazz Festival® was the first jazz festival in America, and has been host to numerous legendary performances by iconic figures and contemporary geniuses. The event is a production of Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc. and is held annually at two of Newport's historic landmarks: the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino and Fort Adams State Park.
- Welcome and farewell receptions
- Friday Concert ticket
- 2-day general admission tickets (Sat and Sun) for the Jazz Festival
- Trolley sightseeing tour of Newport, including one Mansion
- Twilight Boat Cruise
- Seated Dinner at the Black Pearl
- Private Brunch at the Castle Hill Inn
- Faculty Lectures
- 2 passes for the Newport Water Taxi
Choose your own lodging or join the group for three nights at the Downtown Mansion located at 31 Old Beach Rd., Newport, RI, 02240.
- $1,470 per person program with three nights lodging (double occupancy)
- $575 single room supplement
- $895 per person program only (no lodging)
- If you cancel before June 1, 75% of program and 75% of lodging will be refunded.
- If you cancel June 1 – July 1, 50% of program and 50% of lodging will be refunded.
- If you cancel after July 1, no refund is possible.