PLEASE NOTE: The Alumni Association website will be down from 6 PM ET on Thursday, May 30, until 8 AM ET Monday, June 3.
Washington, DC Young Alumni Committee
Welcome to Washington DC! The Young Alumni Committee (YAC) is active in bringing together young alumni in the DC area and looks forward to seeing you at a future event. Below is a little more information about our YAC and what DC has to offer Hopkins young alumni.
Why DC rocks!
We’re the nation’s capital! Where a stroll down the block takes you past the White House and the person sitting next to you at the bar is John McCain's Chief of Staff. It's a great city for aspiring politicians, but also engineers, scientists, and poets. We have more free cultural events than any other city in the WORLD! Let's also not forget the proximity to Baltimore, JHU, and all your friends!
Past (or upcoming) Young Alumni Events
We have had several happy hour events that draw large alumni crowds and are always fun and a ballgame in June. In December, we hosted a holiday giving challenge against Boston and had events in both cities on the same night.
Washington quirks we love
- DIVERSITY! We have anything and everything (and everyone)! There isn’t just one place to go out or one cluster of museums – international headquarters and embassies bring people of different languages and backgrounds (and foods) together.
- There are endless things to do and places to see throughout the year. The Smithsonian hosts the annual Folklife Festival on the National Mall. Check out the kites flying during the cherry blossom festival. Tour the White House and Capitol Building. Kayak the Potomac River at the Georgetown Waterfront. Play pong at the end of the Reagan National runway as planes take off above your head. See a free show (365 days a year) at the acclaimed Kennedy Center.
- Do you like sports? We have it all in DC. The Nationals (baseball), Capitals (hockey), Wizards (basketball), and Redskins (Football). JHU alumni also participate in various kickball leagues that play on the national mall, flip cup leagues, trivia leagues, and more!
- We have a law that restricts how tall buildings can be built, so you can always see the beautiful sky.
- We get all four seasons – beautiful snows (and snow days!), a gorgeous and crisp Spring fit with cherry blossoms, a warm Summer, and a cool colorful Fall.
- We’re very convenient to Baltimore, NY, Philly – and even have JHU campuses in the city.
- There is a museum around every corner. Everyone has heard of the National Air and Space Museum, the Spy Museum, and the Newseum, but have you ever heard of the National Building Museum? Have you thought of visiting Ford's Theater?
- There is so much green. If you love nature, DC is the place for you. Sure, our sidewalks are lined with trees, and our streets meet in grassy circles, but we also have watersports on the Potomac and C&O Canal, Rock Creek Park (designed with the same intentions as Central Park in NYC), and the 3 mile Roosevelt Island preserve for hiking and beautiful views.
- Ping pong dim sum - classy bar meets high end dim sum. Delicious!
- Founding farmers - Sustainable, LEED certified, local food. Gourmet food at a surprisingly affordable price.
- Oyamel - Best tapas around.
- Zaytinya - Mouth-watering modern Mediterranean
- Adam’s Morgan
- Dupont Circle
- U Street
- Anywhere! Yes, even Ballston has its hot spots!
- Any bar with trivia (and we have MANY) - PJ's withdrawal, anyone?
Popular Neighborhoods for Young Alumni to live in
- Adam’s Morgan
- Dupont Circle
- Cleveland Park
- Ballston/Arlington, VA
Come visit us! If you want to meet young alumni in the DC area or have any questions about moving out here please don't hesitate to contact us.