PLEASE NOTE: The Alumni Association website will be down from 6 PM ET on Thursday, May 30, until 8 AM ET Monday, June 3.
Chicago Young Alumni Committee
Welcome to Chicago! The Young Alumni Committee (YAC) is active in bringing together young alumni in the Chitown area and looks forward to seeing you at a future event. Below is a little more information about our YAC and what the Windy City has to offer Hopkins young alumni.
Why Chicago rocks!
- Big city swagger, Midwest charm
- We’re rich in history, culture, architecture, food, sports, cuisine and entertainment!
Past (or upcoming) Young Alumni Events
- Summer Happy Hours at Theory Bar
- JHU & 312: Goose Island Brewery Tour – the 2011 Chicago Young Alumni welcome event
Chicago quirks we love
- We’re known as the Windy City - depending on who you ask it’s either because of the lake effect or our politics
- “Summertime Chi” is nothing short of amazing. There are tons summer festivals, movies in the city parks, the Taste of Chicago, Lollapolooza and more
- Any true sports fan knows there are strong roots in Chicago. Sports fans can indulge in Da Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, WhiteSox, Cubs, Fire and Sky
- Navy Pier - shopping, restaurants, rides, Children’s museum, Beer Garden with concerts, Shakespeare Theater
- Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Contemporary Art, and the Art Institute
- The Old Water Tower - one of only five public buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire of 1871
- 77 unique communities within the boundaries of Chicago
- Comedy Clubs - Second City and Improv Olympics
- Chicago has been voted the country's "most exceptional dining destination"
- It is home to 23 Michelin-starred restaurants, with one three-star restaurant
- A short list of “must try” cuisine includes deep dish pizza (Lou Malnati’s/Gino’s East), Chicago hot dog (Portillo’s)
- Each summer hundreds of local restaurants participate in the Taste of Chicago. It’s the best reflection of the city’s specialties
Chicago nightlife is grand and ever changing. It’s best to ask local young alumni for recommendations. There’s something for everyone across the city.
Popular Neighborhoods for Young Alumni to live in
- West Loop
- South Loop
- Lincoln Park
- Wicker Park
- Hyde Park