Outlook Live to Office 365 Email Migration
Due to changes that happened at Microsoft recently, you will not be able to keep your existing JHU email account when you no longer have a JHED record. In order to take advantage of the email for life, you must first register for an account in Connect. Once you have registered as a first-time user in Connect, you can follow the migration steps below to move your email to the Alumni Office 365 system.
How does someone know if they need to migrate from Outlook Live to Office 365?
Everyone will receive an email notification from the Office of Alumni Relations once they are eligible for an alumni account. When you receive this email, you are eligible to migrate to the Alumni Email system. Due to the differences in how each school manages JHED expirations, you are encouraged to migrate right away in order to avoid losing access to email. SOM and Carey may keep your record for 45 days after graduation while others may keep your record for 1-3 years. These rules can change. If you received a degree from Johns Hopkins and are no longer taking classes, then it is best to migrate immediately.
What should be expected?
- Make sure desktop software is up-to-date with the Office 365 software requirements. Office 365 doesn't support the following software and it will need to be replaced:
- Internet Explorer 6 or 7. If using Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer 7, a newer version of Internet Explorer will need to be installed.
- Outlook 2003. If using Outlook to read emails and using Microsoft Office 2003, we recommend that Outlook be updated to Office Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010.
How to Migrate
- First, you must have previously registered for Connect. If you have forgotten your Connect password or if you have never registered for Connect, please follow the instructions on the website for first-time login. This information will be used going forward for the migration. If your JHED ID is not the same as your Connect ID please contact email@example.com before proceeding with the migration.
- Go to the Office 365 login page and login with your Connect Alumni credentials, if you do not know your Alumni information go to https://connect.jhu.edu/ and follow the instructions for first time login or forgotten password.
- After you’re logged into Office 365, click the Options button near the top-right corner. If the webpage that you see does not look like the image below, please exit out of all open web browsers and log in again by going to outlook.com/alumni.jh.edu
- Click the Connected Accounts button.
- Click on the New button that looks like a plus sign to create a new connection and a popup window will appear.
- Enter your email and password for your student Office 365 account in the provided fields, using yourJHEDID@jh.edu as your template for the email address. Remember, the password is the same as your JHED password, then click Next.
- You will be prompted with the first dialog window below. Click Ok, then click the IMAP connection option on the next window.
- Fill in the boxes for the IMAP connection with the requested information. Make sure you enter in both Account and Server Information, then click Save. All the information needed can be found in the image below. The Password is your JHED password. Both the username and the email address should be yourJHEDID@jh.edu. The incoming server is pod51000.outlook.com.
- If your credentials and server information are entered correctly, you will see a ‘Successful connection’ message. You will then need to log in to your old student Office 365 email by going to the my.jhu.edu portal in a different web browser. You will see a confirmation email, once you have clicked the link in this email, the two accounts are now connected and your old mail will begin to show up in your new Office 365 mailbox. Please allow up to 24 hours to migrate all of your mail, depending on the number of messages within your mailbox. Please also remember that you must delete the connected account once you have finished the migration.
- After your Outlook Live messages are finished migrating to your new Office 365 account (Connection status will show ‘OK’), repeat steps 2 & 3. Then click the Outlook Live account and click the ‘trash’ icon in the same row as the ad account icon to remove the connection.
- Finally, you must change your email alias to point to your new email address. Currently your alias should point to yourJHEDID@live.johnshopkins.edu but after the migration you must change it to your new email: yourJHEDID@alumni.jh.edu. To change your alias go to http://alumni.jhu.edu/alias and follow the directions there. Please note: You will need your Alumni ID (an all numeric ID, separate from your JHED ID) to create a new email alias. If you need your alumni ID, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-548-5481.
For Mobile Devices
- After your email is migrated you will need to reconfigure any mobile devices that received email from your Live@Hopkins account to now receive email from your new Office 365 Account
- For Activesync you will only need to enter your email address (yourJHEDID@Alumni.jh.edu), and your password for that email address
- For Android and iPhone you will also need to enter in the server name (m.outlook.com)