How to Migrate JHU Student Office 365 to JHU Alumni Office 365
If you are an alum but are currently enrolled as a student at Johns Hopkins or employed by Johns Hopkins, you do not need to take further action. Your JHED will not expire.
- First, you must have previously registered in Alumni Services (formerly known as Connect). If you have forgotten your Alumni Services password or if you have never registered for Alumni Services access, please follow the instructions on the website for first-time login. This information will be used going forward for the migration. If your JHED ID is not the same as your Alumni Services ID please contact email@example.com before proceeding with the migration.
- Go to the Office 365 login page and login with your Alumni Services Alumni credentials. (formerly known as your Johns Hopkins Connect credentials). If you do not know your Alumni information go to https://alumni.jhu.edu, and scroll to the middle of the page where it asks for login ID and Password. If you do not have a login ID and password or have forgotten your password, follow the instructions for first time login or forgotten password.
- After you’re logged into Office 365, click the Options button near the top-right corner. In the drop-down window under Settings, search for "connected accounts." If the webpage that you see does not look like the image below, please exit out of all open web browsers and log in again by going to outlook.com/alumni.jh.edu (***NOTE: For anyone experiencing browser issues not displaying the “options” icon, please click here for additional information.)
- Click the Connected Accounts button.
- Click on the New button that looks like a plus sign to create a new connection and a popup window will appear.
- Enter your email and password for your student Office 365 account in the provided fields, using yourJHEDID@jh.edu as your template for the email address. Remember, the password is the same as your JHED password, then click Next.
- You will be prompted with the first dialog window below. Click Ok, then click the IMAP connection option on the next window.
- Fill in the boxes for the IMAP connection with the requested information. Make sure you enter in both Account and Server Information, then click Save. All the information needed can be found in the image below. The Password is your JHED password. Both the username and the email address should be yourJHEDID@jh.edu. The incoming server is outlook.office365.com.
- If your credentials and server information are entered correctly, you will see a ‘Successful connection’ message. You will then need to log in to your old Student Office 365 email by going to the my.jhu.edu portal in a different web browser. You will see a confirmation email, once you have clicked the link in this email, the two accounts are now connected and your old mail will begin to show up in your new Alumni Office 365 mailbox. Please allow up to 24 hours to migrate all of your mail, depending on the number of messages within your mailbox. Please also remember that you must delete the connected account once you have finished the migration.
- Using the self-service Email Alias tool found in the my.jh.edu portal, please redirect all registered aliases either from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org. Select the Enter Custom Address option to manually add email@example.com. Keep in mind, once your JHED record drops the ability to use this tool, you will no longer be able to manage your aliases. Therefore, it is advisable to redirect all aliases once the migration process has been completed.
- After your JHU Student Office 365 email account messages are finished migrating to your new JHU Alumni Office 365 account (Connection status will show ‘OK’), repeat steps 2 & 3. Then click the JHU Student Office 365 account and click the ‘trash’ icon in the same row as the add account icon to remove the connection.